Complete Newsgroup Listing

Missing a feature in Usenetic? This is the place to let us know.
Phyber Optik

Complete Newsgroup Listing

Post by Phyber Optik » Wed May 02, 2018 8:12 pm

Is there, or will there be, a way to display the complete newsgroup listings that a specific news provider (like Supernews for example) offers instead of having to manually search for a newsgroup and then add it?

Support

Re: Complete Newsgroup Listing

Post by Support » Wed May 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi,

Do the following to display all the newsgroups from your provider:

In MegaSearch click on the POST button at the right top.
Then in the window that opens click on the ADD button at the right top.
A new window will open with all the newsgroups from your provider (or press refresh to download the whole list).

I hope this answers your question.

Here is a screenshot:
Attachments
Newsgroup_selector_and_Post_new_message_and_or_files_to_usenet.jpg
Newsgroup_selector_and_Post_new_message_and_or_files_to_usenet.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 106444 times
If you like Usenetic, please give it 5 stars at MacUpdate: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/59624/usenetic

Phyber Optik

Post by Phyber Optik » Thu May 03, 2018 2:55 am

Didn't work. When I click Add in either window, nothing happens. I can't cancel the request either and Usenetic hangs to the point that I have to Quit to cancel. Operator error?

Support

Post by Support » Thu May 03, 2018 6:19 am

Downloading the whole list can take a few seconds up to a minute, depending your connection speed.
Is your news provider Supernews?
And please PM or email me the error report so I have more info concerning the issue.

Thanks
If you like Usenetic, please give it 5 stars at MacUpdate: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/59624/usenetic

Phyber Optik

Post by Phyber Optik » Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Yes, Supernews is my usenet provider. My connection speed hovers around 290Mbps down, and I did leave the window open and alone for about a minute. I'll try leaving it open longer. There was no error message, I just couldn't minimize the window, cancel, or close it. I had to quit the app. If I am successful in downloading the entire group list, how do I save it so next time I can just cruise the list and open what I want?

Support

Post by Support » Thu May 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Once downloaded it is stored automatically and available until you do a refresh.

Phyber Optik

Post by Phyber Optik » Fri May 04, 2018 12:48 am

I tried again following your instructions and left the window open for 8 minutes. Nothing happened and I still had to quit the app because minimize and cancel didn't work. There seems to be an issue with OS 10.12.6. I currently use Thoth, which has absolutely no issues at all but would like to upgrade to High Sierra, but I need a 64-bit newsreader, which Thoth is not.

Support

Post by Support » Sat May 05, 2018 9:56 am

Hi,

Apologies for my late reply.

Please tell me at which point is goes bad.

When you click on the POST button at the right top in MegaSearch a window will open.
Then at the right top you click the ADD newsgroups button and another window open with a REFRESH button at the left bottom.
What happens when you click on the REFRESH button? Does a new window open with the title "Downloading newsgroups list"?
If it does, what status messages do you see appearing? And what happens when you click the CANCEL button?

Usenetic is still in beta and might has some issues. This seems one of them.

Thank you.

Phyber Optik

Post by Phyber Optik » Sun May 06, 2018 4:14 pm

No apologies necessary.
1. Clicking Post doesn't open a window. Only a pulldown that has "Post new msg".
2. Clicking on Post new msg opens a window where you can post a msg.
3. Clicking on Add does nothing and there is no Refresh button at the bottom left, only Cancel and Submit Post, both of which do nothing.
4. The window is frozen at this point in time so that it cannot be moved or resized. Cancel doesn't work either so the only way to continue is to Quit Usenetic altogether.

Support

Post by Support » Sun May 06, 2018 5:17 pm

I think the newsgroups table is corrupt.

Please try the following:

In Finder press SHIFT-CMD-G (or in menu Go->Go to Folder)
Then in the textfield enter "~/Library/Application Support/Usenetic/db" (including the tilde ~, but without the quotes)

Then delete the file: newsgroups.db

I think that will work. If not please send me the error report.