Usenet does not SAVE the Queue status of files downloaded following restart of program.

If you found a bug, please report it here.
Forum rules
When reporting a bug, please be as specific as possible.

To access the logfile in Finder:

If the programs crashed, please attach or email us the crash report AND logfile.

In Finder press SHIFT-CMD-G (or in menu Go->Go to Folder)
Then in the textfield enter "~/Library/Application Support/Usenetic" (including the tilde ~)
There you'll find the logfile called: Usenetic.log

Other issues:

You can always attach an image/screenshot with the problem for better understanding.
jculp

Usenet does not SAVE the Queue status of files downloaded following restart of program.

Post by jculp » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:06 pm

Has affected all versions of Usenetic including 1.0
Wish to save the Queue List at any various point of download process.

Process:
Select all of Queue list
Pause all non started downloads.
Let already started downloads complete and save to disk.
Downloads indicator at no downloads in progress
Close Usenetic.
Save State window shows and completes saving the Queue and Status of Usenetic.
Restart Usenetic
Previous saved state reloads
Once complete, select all Queue list and restart downloads.

Problem:
Reviewing individual file groups and previously downloaded first par2 file is not indicated as already downloaded from previous state. See MP4 or JPEG
Files fail to decompress and assemble automatically.
Must Manually reselect each first par2 file to re-download for auto-assemble function to work properly.

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 6.57.57 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 6.57.57 PM.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 152863 times

Seems that an accurate Save State is not being retained.

Also, in metasearch the files that are queued to download still are listed with date of 1969.12.31. See JPG
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 7.02.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 7.02.55 PM.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 152863 times

Hope this helps.

Jculp

PS.
Bought Usenetic today as it is well worth the small investment and is great program.

Support

Re: Usenet does not SAVE the Queue status of files downloaded following restart of program.

Post by Support » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:21 pm

I think (after you closed Usenetic) you accidentally deleted the PAR2 files from the file-sets that were still queued.
Can you confirm that?

I'll try to explain how the queue works and what might has happened.

If you select a file-set in MegaSearch to download it is added to the queue and the queue will directly start downloading the PAR2 file even if the queue is busy downloading other file-sets. If you close Usenetic and delete the PAR2 file from disk then (after starting Usenetic) the PAR2 file is still marked as being downloaded. But since you removed it from disk the repair information is lost and the file-set can't be repaired.

If you restart Usenetic the queue state will be restored. After restoring the queue state, the filenames in the right panel are grey and not selected when they are previously downloaded (like PAR2 files). Even if they no longer exists on disk.

Thanks.
If you like Usenetic, please give it 5 stars at MacUpdate: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/59624/usenetic

jculp

Re: Usenet does not SAVE the Queue status of files downloaded following restart of program.

Post by jculp » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49 pm

No, the par2 file that is initially downloaded is still in the appropriate folder in finder.

The Queue is just not remembering that it downloaded it and marked it as blank (after restart) instead of downloaded in the file set list.

Just quit and saved queue as previously described and here is the before screenshot-

Here is after restart with same file set-
After2  Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 6.39.54 PM.jpg
After2 Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 6.39.54 PM.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 152839 times
Nothing was done in Finder.
Next post has screenshot of finder showing the related files-
Attachments
After Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 6.39.28 PM.jpg
After Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 6.39.28 PM.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 152839 times
BEFORE Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 6.38.04 PM.jpg
BEFORE Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 6.38.04 PM.jpg (736.61 KiB) Viewed 152839 times

Support

Post by Support » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Like I tried to explain, it is normal that the downloaded files are no longer selected and coloured grey after a restore.

I've done some tests here, but all restores are working fine.
Is it a common problem or sporadic?
If you like Usenetic, please give it 5 stars at MacUpdate: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/59624/usenetic

jculp

Post by jculp » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:29 am

It's sporadic, but I'll keep tabs of it and if it recurs I'll save the log file to send you.

I tested the file sets after the screenshots and all the file assembled and decompressed correctly by Usenetic even though the files in the screenshots no longer indicted that file segments were downloaded (but they were and are still present in the Finder folders).

I understand that this is normal behavior for Usenetic currently (as you explained), but it is not to say that it is ideal performance of an otherwise excellent program.

It still seems that if Usenetic is truly saving the SaveState record of the download Queue, it should accurately reflect that any files that have been downloaded are indicated as such even after a restart.

Thanks for the prompt response.

JCulp