Demo of Usenetic

General discussions
Support

Re: Demo of Usenetic

Post by Support » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:50 am

Usenetic calculates the blocks during the download process.
After all files are downloaded and enough blocks were found, it will start an external PAR2 repair library (see this library as an other app).
This library may report different results as what Usenetic has calculated. I've never seen this happening, but it might. The only reason I can think of why this is happening is that the files were removed after this PAR2 repair library was started.

In short:
The number of available blocks at the right panel were calculated during the download process.
The number of required blocks in the red bar (in your picture) were reported by the PAR2 repair library.
If you like Usenetic, please give it 5 stars at MacUpdate: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/59624/usenetic

zephyr

Post by zephyr » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:14 am

I'm still trying to get a successful download from Giganews. Their support says they have a 3 year retention of binaries but even at 900 days with Usenetic, I have not received a complete archive nor one that is repairable or "file no longer exists".

I was using Newsleecher for a long time successfully but it now has bugs (headers never completely update). So, it's brought me to Usenetic and trying to find a complete archive.

zephyr

Post by zephyr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:21 am

ok I'm working with the news server support because there are tons of archives that are not that old (<900 days) and they're all broken, corrupt or otherwise unrepairable.

Do you offer your own News Servers as part of a subscription process? I may dump Giganews if there's essentially no healthy files

Support

Post by Support » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:10 am

If you are based in the US then I recommend newsgroupdirect.com. They have a download retention over 11 years and besides take-downs their completeness is superb. They offer a free trial for US based citizens.

Eweka.nl has the same quality as newsgroupdirect and is my personal favourite, but they don't have servers in the US.

Both providers are with their $8,- subscriptions very cheap comparing to Giganews.

If you let me know the first and last 5 digits of your Usenetic license then I'll extend your Usenetic trial period.
If you like Usenetic, please give it 5 stars at MacUpdate: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/59624/usenetic